Skip to main content

Rosehip, Apple and Blackberry Soup

I was mooching around the house today and felt the desire and need for comfort food. I popped out to check the freezer and discovered a bag of frozen Rosehips, a mix of our native hip, Canina Rosa aka the Dog Rose and the introduced Asian species, Rosa rugosa, the much plumper and tastier Japanese Rose. Keeping the Rosehips company was a bag of frozen Blackberries & knowing that I had a bag of beautiful apples, a mix of eaters and cookers (thank you Andrea Barbel) Blackberry & Apple Crumble with Creme Anglaise (posh and proper custard) sprang to mind, as did Rosehip Soup or Nyponsoppa as it's called in Sweden (I believe the Swedes thicken the soup using potato or other flour, I prefer not to).

I prepared the crumble ingredients first, cooking the apple & blackberries in a little water to soften them slightly before making my crumble topping to adorn the fruit. After draining the cooked fruit I was left with a small amount of liquid, I considered turning that into a jelly but that felt overly time consuming and the results didn't quite outweigh the energy consumption, sod it, I thought, pop it in the soup.

Rosehip Soup is probably the easiest soup to make in the world, though some would say it's not a true soup. It's caused mini-dilemmas for some who've tried this in the past, everyone's enjoyed it but due to the slight sweetness, it doesn't, for some follow the traditional 'soup format' we're culturally accustomed to in the UK. I'm going to call it a soup but it really doesn't matter what you call it. Given that my girlfriend Jodie is feeling under the weather, I thought this soup would go some way to alleviating her symptoms and raising her spirits, as would the crumble; I'm also making a warm duck salad for mains

To make the soup. Serves 4.

1 pint of Rosehips
1 Litre of filtered or Spring Water
200ml of Apple & Blackberry Liquid (if you're not making a crumble just stick with the Rosehips)
Sugar or Honey to taste
4 Cloves
2 Star Anise
Salt
Ground White Pepper
Sliced Almonds

Bring the water to the boil, add the rosehips and simmer gently for 10 minutes, remove from the heat. Mash the rosehips in the water with a masher, leave for another 10 minutes. Pass the contents through a wide sieve and then a fine mesh sieve into a clean pan (some pulp will make it through, to prevent that just place a small piece of muslin cloth in the fine sieve to catch the pulp). Add the apple/blackberry liquid, sugar/honey to taste (you don't want it over-sweet, you're not making a jelly of syrup - though you could), the cloves and star anise and gently heat through on the lowest hob setting to help infuse the flavours of the two spices (try to avoid it boiling up). Once satisfied with the taste and aroma, add sea salt & ground white pepper to taste and serve with sliced almonds. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unripe Figs in Syrup

Preserved Unripe Figs. Batch #1  I recently acquired a copy of 'The New Wildcrafted Cuisine' by, Pascal Baudar (many thanks to Dominick Tekos for sending it me). Despite the fact that he resides in California, much of the books content is applicable with regards to techniques, philosophies, creativity and inspiration, and some of the wild plants, regardless of where in the world you reside. Understanding our native floras & faunas is the same the world over I guess. Climates, habitats, techniques, cultures etc do differ but I firmly believe we all have innate and transferable knowledge and practices, whether they be ancient or contemporary (some yet to be rekindled/discovered/attained even), and we can adapt them to our own wild plants, landscapes, seasons, resources and requirements.                                           Now, moving swiftly on to the main theme of this post, the figs. Pascal has a recipe for preserving unripe figs in syrup, I'm aware of a

Fermented Japanese Quince Pickle

I love lime pickle but I love my Japanese Quince pickle even more! Lime pickle is great, it smacks your taste buds all over the place and I like that, it's salty, sour, tart, citrusy and then those spices come in to play with that amazing heat toward to the end. So after last years Japanese Quince harvest (end October, early November) an idea struck me, why not make a pickle akin to lime pickle, quince are tart and have that sour, citrus appeal but with a more delicious attit ude, so I set about making one. After chopping and removing the seeds, I salted the quince to start a short fermentation process, I later added a range of spices and have left it alone ever since (well, not quite true, I have had a few sneak previews to taste how it's been getting along, who wouldn't and besides, I'm making it  :)  ). The initially hard quince have softened nicely and they have become beautifully infused with the spices while retaining that distinctive quince flavour and aroma. Fe

Winter Fungi: Velvet Shank

Winter Fungi: Velvet Shank (Flammulina velutipes). Velvet Shank are the wild alternative to the cultivated form, 'Enokitake' that you find in shops (long tall slender stems with tiny white caps, usually sold in tall plastic sheaths) .  This readily recognisable fungi is like a ray of golden sunshine amid the generally muted and darker hues of winter - camouflage is not it's strong point. This gregarious and social fungi can be found growing on dead/dying logs & stumps, on a variety of tree species including Beech, Sycamore & Horse Chestnut .  Regarding edibility, in my opinion they are top notch & more appealingly so due to the time of year they are found, winter, the hardest season in the foraging calendar. They have  a great mushroom flavour with a slight sweetness reminiscent of caramel.   So, what can you do with them? Fresh, young ones are delightful raw , they can be gently fried in butter, added to broths, pickled & make a great mushroom pate, t